Yesterday, our team spent almost eight hours participating in Demola Jam #1. Our day was full of workshops, talks, and of course, good company!
The day started at half nine in the morning and for a Saturday, it was early. Luckily, Demola offered coffee and tea for the jammers, and the actual program didn’t start until ten a.m. so everybody had some time to gather themselves up. When the day officially got started, we began with a brief stretching excersice and it was a good thing we did that so the coffee wasn’t the only thing keeping us awake.
The first thing we worked on was Löylykauha. Each one of us picked an everyday object and listed its attributes. I chose a coffee mug – coffee was still the only thing I could think of – and my attributes were sufficient volume, big handle, bright colours or a nice picture, and a ceramic material. Next thing we did, was to think what those attributes offer. I got functinal design from the volume, handle and material, and aesthetics from the colour or picture and material. Next step was to think what values these offer, why would someone need or buy this product? I ended up with the following values: better mornings, relaxation, and offering beverages to friends and family which in turn offers a better quality of life. Once we were finished, we compared our objects and values with a pair. I did this with our project manager Antti, whose object was a coffee thermos, so apparently I wasn’t the only one thinking of coffee!
After this round of Löylykauha we got a harder exercise: we were to apply this method to our own project. Each team member thought of the different attributes and values individually and afterwards we discussed our results with our whole team. Each one of us had somewhat different findings and it was great to compare them and see each one’s approach on the matter.
Next in the program were some talks.We were encouraged to carefully write down all our ideas and write them down plenty. You can never know which idea turns out to be “a diamond in the rough.” Our project has such vide parameters that bouncing off ideas abundantly is something that comes naturally.
After some lunch we started the demofication part of the day. First, we divided into ten groups and created some really weird prototypes based on three words describing everyday objects. Each group got their words from the group next to them and at first my group was a bit baffled with words underwear, money and computer. Eventually, we did create a great prototype of a product that, no doubt, will be reality one day: the Internet of Underthings (credits to Sanni from Tennis Center Digital Services -project for coming up with that name!). That is, underwear with a contacless payment feature as well as showing your account’s balance in the waistband. Brilliant, if you ask me!
Next, it was time to get back together with our own team and start working on a sh***y prototype for our own project. Our end result looked like this:
Our solution was just pen and paper, but it is also the quickest way to show what we have been thinking so far. We began by each team member quickly sketching their point of view before we combined those and made the final prototype. Again, each member in our team had very different approaches to the problem and we’ll have plenty of ideas once we get to the actual design part of the project! This excercise ended with a two minute pitch about our project and prototype. We got some valuable feedback to work on. And let’s hope the next time we’re pitching it happens earlier in the day so the team might have more energy on the stage 😀
Your happy jammer,
The word prototype derives from the Greek πρωτότυπον prototypon, “primitive form”, neutral of πρωτότυπος prototypos, “original, primitive”, from πρῶτος protos, “first” and τύπος typos, “impression”. x